A collection of writing advice, helpful websites, and blogs to help you hone your craft.
These are some of my favorite websites for writing advice:
Helping Writers become Authors Well written articles with very specific advice. You will learn something.
Lara Willard’s Write, Edit, Repeat I love the well-organized layout of this website. Everything is categorized by topic and easy to find.
Write on Sisters Solid advice for the beginner, written in a cozy “chatting over coffee” tone.
A list of my posts on writing advice
- Choosing the Right POV Character-authortoolbox
- Creating conflict in every scene
- How to avoid info dumping in dialogue
- Correctly using Author Intrusion
- Most Common First Page Mistakes
- Most Common Mistakes in Opening Chapters
- Bad Writing Advice you should ignore
- Changing Telling into Showing
- Avoiding Stilted Dialogue-author toolbox
- Correctly Using Beats in Dialogue
- Evaluating Writing Feedback Advice
- What’s the deal with Passive Voice?
- Creating a Killer First Line
- AWC podcast mention
- Writing a Killer First Page
- Give Your Scenes a Purpose with Scene Goals- author toolbox
- Eliminating overused words
- Opening Lines: Indie Tidbits Podcast
- Motivation-Reaction Unit
- Building Consistent Characters
- Worldbuilding: Not just for Fantasy
- Excessive First Draft Word Count? Don’t
- Plot: the unbreakable chain
- How to Be a Good Critique Partner
- Don’t Let Bad Prose Sink Your Story
- Engaging readers from the First Sentence part 2
- Engaging Readers from the First Sentence
- Why Writing Advice is Ruining your Manuscript
- Deep POV gets you into a character’s head
- Use Conflict to Propel Your Story Forward